Saturday 4 December 2010

Chocolate and Pistachio Fudge (Another thrifty Christmas gift!)

This time in 3 weeks, it will be Christmas Day! And while I'm going to make this fail-proof fudge a couple of days before Christmas for presents, I thought I'd better post it now in case anybody wants to make it before. I'm going to make a big batch and bag it up in these presentation bags I got from Lakeland - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/50-presentation-bags/F/product/12007 and tie the bags with ribbon. 
The Macaroons I posted last week will be for the girls and the fudge can be for the guys (Nearly all grandpas love fudge!). 
The recipe is from Nigella, I saw it on her Christmas TV programme a couple of years ago and it's so quick and easy to make yet looks really good. The photo below is from her website, I'll post mine when I make it and bag it all up.

Ingredients - Makes about 70 pieces)
350g Dark Chocolate, chopped (minimum 70% cocoa)
1 x 397g can condensed milk
30g butter
Pinch of salt
150g pistachios

Put the chopped chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt in a heavy-based pan on a low heat. Stir to melt.
Put the nuts into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin until broken into rubble (both big and little pieces)
Add the nuts to the melted chocolate and condensed milk and stir well to mix.
Pour the mixture into a tray 23cm square, smoothing the top.
Let the fudge cool and put in the fridge until it has set. Then cut it into small pieces. Cutting 8 x 10 lines in the tin.
One cut, it can be kept in the freezer, no need to thaw just eat. (Or keep it in bags for a couple of days maximum like I'm going to do)


p.s Put the Christmas tree up today at my parents house ->

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    If you put the fudge in the freezer to make it last until xmas how long does it last once you take it out and does it keep the texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy, It will last for about a week, it's mainly butter and sugar so will keep it's texture well if you keep it in an airtight bag or container and there's no need to thaw it, just let it come to temperate and eat it. Thanks for reading :) Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete