Tuesday 21 December 2010

Christmas Interlude - London

I wanted to post my Christmas cupcake recipe at the weekend as I was supposed to be making some for our big family gathering. I had brought some really lovely decorations from John Lewis  to use too! But unfortunately, the weather had other plans and the whole country got covered in snow! We had about 10cm and there was no way my Auntie's and Uncle's would have been able to get to us. So the cupcakes will have to wait until after Christmas now when it's rescheduled. 
Anyway, the only plus was that we could freeze some of the food and we got to eat the rest!




I went to the Hummingbird Bakery in Soho at the weekend and got some of their Christmas cupcakes to make up for the fact that I couldn't make some. Don't they look great! They've got a Christmas special flavour everyday and they've got a new cookbook coming out in March, right in time for my Birthday! If you haven't already got the first Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, I'd definitely recommend it, I've posted some of the cupcakes I've made from it in an earlier post. The Hummingbird Bakery was also the place where I tried my first whoopie pie last year, as well as lots of delicious cupcakes, they also have whoopie pies, brownies, cheesecakes etc etc. 
Some of my other favourite foodie places in London to visit are:

Wahaca - a great Mexican Street Food Restaurant set up by Thomasina Miers. I've been to the branch in Covent Garden a couple of times and the new one that's just opened in Soho. I always get the Chicken Burrito (I ask for it without sour cream) and it's so delicious, healthy and great value. My Boyfriend usually orders some extra sides, at the weekend he got a Chorizo and Potato Quesadilla which he said was really good. Their Salsa is also incredible, it tastes so fresh! Wahaca give out little matchbox style cards with chilli seeds in too which is really cool so you can plant your own chilli's. My boyfriend planted some last year and they grew really big, hopefully they'll start producing this year. The photos are of a Burrito we had at the weekend, and inside the Soho restaurant.

Yo Sushi - My ultimate favourite restaurant chain! I adore Sushi and YO just makes it so cool, I know there are probably much posher places to get your Sushi from, but I love Yo! The conveyor belts and different coloured plates, the delicious sushi, hot noodle dishes and the best part is that I get 25% off all year round for being a student! In January, they're doing 40% off if you're a 'Love Club member', I'll definitely be making some extra visits! My boyfriend and I have been to most of the branches in London, my favourite is Selfridges although you can't use your student discount here, so the next best is St Paul's or Westfield. We always order a Chicken Katsu curry, Yakisoba noodles from the menu and then choose lots from the belt - my favourite is the Beef, the Prawn and the Kaisan Gunkan (see photo above)

While I'm uploading photos, I also realised that there aren't any of me on here yet! So here I am - 

 And I thought I'd post some photos of London at Christmas time -






On Thursday, I'll be posting some Christmas cookies and photos of my fudge and macaroons - wish me luck! And Merry Christmas everybody, thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment