Wednesday 1 December 2010

Some other thrifty Christmas gift ideas...

Continuing the thrifty gift ideas from the macaroons, here's some other things I'm making:


Jars of sweets - 
I got some Kilner jars from Dunelm for something like £1.79 each and brought a variety of sweets to fill them with! I've seen jars like this in Selfridges for £15!! They look really lovely.
Since this photo was taken, my boyfriend has made some mini polaroid photos to tie around them as labels. 
Sweets used - Liquorice all-sorts, Marshmallows, Chocolate Buttons, Flying Saucers and Moams! 









Lavender Bath Salts -
Using the Kilner Jars I also made some bath salts for ladies in the family.
I got a salt mix from ebay which includes epsom salts, sea salt and bicarbonate of soda. 
Use 2 cups epsom to 1 cup sea salt and 1/2 cup bicarb and then add some dried lavender (my boyfriend had an abundance cut back from his garden) and essence of lavender.

I then tied the jars with a purple ribbon and made a tag out of brown luggage-style labels attaching a sprig of lavender! A perfect, thrifty gift! And it makes your muscles feel amazing after a hot bath.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I am enjoying reading " The Student chef" and love the idea of the sweets in jars. Did you take the clip top off the jars because i can only find Kilner jars with metal tops attached?Thanks
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bev,
    Thank you so much for your comment! It means a lot to start getting feedback!
    I did see some jars with clips on but I chose lids that just lifted off. Found them in Wilkinsons as well as Dunelm, they are more square than the clip lidded ones.
    Thanks again! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    Thanks for replying to my comment, i have now ordered kilner jars from Wilkinsons.com. I am also going to make the lavender bath salts and look forward to trying them "out" my self!
    Your parents Xmas tree and dec's look lovely, hopefully will be putting mine up tomorrow if i'am feeling better, in bed at the moment with flu!
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon! Keep tuning into my blog, I'll be adding lots more recipes!
    Happy Cooking (and bathing in the salts!)
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete