Thursday 27 January 2011

Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes

I haven't made or seen rice krispie cakes for years; maybe because I haven't been a child for years. They're not the most elegant of cakes and certainly don't compared to macaroons or decorated cupcakes but I like them because they're just so simple. You don't even have to turn your oven on, just melt some chocolate, butter and syrup and stir in the puffed rice and BAM, you've got a tray of afternoon treats. And of course they're nostalgic, everybody's eaten these at kid's birthday parties. 
These are also good for Easter, you can use cornflakes or shredded wheat instead of the krispie's and put a little chick or some coloured mini eggs on top. 


I almost feel silly putting a recipe up (do these count as baking if they take 10 minutes and you don't cook them?!), but for the love of the humble krispie cake, here goes:
Ingredients -
50g butter
100g dark chocolate
2 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
120 g rice krispies or 80g cornflakes


1. Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a pan on a low heat. 
2. Once melted, add the cereal and stir to coat evenly.
3. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and refrigerate until set.




- and if you're not a regular reader of my blog, please stay tuned and I'll promise to post a 'proper' recipe in the next couple of days! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe , I have tried to find it for ages. I work with children in the slums of Brazil who have no ovens. They are just going to LOVE making (and eating these). :)

    ReplyDelete