There are 3 main rules to follow with this risotto - lots of stirring, lots of black pepper and lots of parmesan!
The basic recipe (before any adaptations) -
100g-150g risotto rice per person
Tiny piece of butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 White Onion, chopped
Closed cup mushrooms
1 and a half breasts of chicken per person
White Wine (about 1 glass full)
Chicken stock (probably made up with 1-1/2 litres of boiling water but check the packets instructions depending on how much rice you're using)
Then you can add any or a mix of the following -
Asparagus (Steam in the microwave with a tiny bit of water until just soft)
Roasted butternut squash, cubed into small pieces ( Roast the butternut squash – 200 degrees c, roasting tin, cube squash, sprinkle with garlic oil, roast until soft and starting to blacken)
Peas (Cook in the microwave)
Beetroot (Roast whole in the oven first and then remove the skin, grate into the risotto)
|Pink beetroot risotto! Looks strange, tastes yummy!|
More mushrooms/wild mushrooms
Or anything else you can think of!
Fry the butter, onions and chicken in a pan until chicken is almost cooked.
Add mushrooms when chicken almost cooked
- Add risotto rice to cook until translucent then add wine, stirring until absorbed
- Add chicken stock a ladleful at a time, stirring all the time and only adding when all has been absorbed.
- Add parmesan and black pepper in regular intervals
- Then when all the stock is nearly absorbed, add the squash or asparagus/peas etc.
- Add to risotto when stock is almost finished
And then serve with lots of black pepper and parmesan!