Monday 11 October 2010

Eve's Pudding



Mmn!




My very first blog post! 


I've been wanting to do this for ages but am annoyingly busy writing a dissertation, revising for an LNAT test and walking my new puppy this weekend!


But I did manage to find the time to bake a pudding using the apples from my Boyfriend's garden and neighbours trees. Also I needed to use up some of our eggs, (we have 4 chickens so the eggs build up pretty quickly) so on a warm autumnal day, what better than to make Eve's pudding. It seems so much lighter than a crumble, perfect for after a big dinner!


I looked for some recipes and in the end adapted a Waitrose and as a first attempt, it came out pretty well. This pudding needs a lot of custard though or the sponge can be a bit bland.


Serves 4 but I used way more than 2 apples! -


2 Bramley apples (about 500g in total)
1 tbsp lemon juice

A spoonful of cinnamon 
2 tbsp water
90g soft butter
100g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp
100g self-raising flour
2 eggs



Custard to serve.


Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.


Peel, core and chop the apples into a pan with the lemon juice and water. Stir, cover and cook briskly for 5 or 6 minutes until the apples are soft enough to almost purée when stirred. (I added a spoonfuls of cinnamon)


Add 15g butter and 2 tbsp caster sugar and stir to slacken. Transfer to a 900ml-capacity, ceramic gratin dish, about 5cm deep. Leave to cool while you prepare the topping. - I did this and left it for a couple of hours at room temp.


Cream 75g butter with 100g caster sugar until fluffy and light. Sift the flour into a bowl and whisk the eggs in a second bowl. Fold the flour and egg in alternate spoonfuls into the sugar mixture until blended. Spoon the mixture over the apples when ready to put in the oven.








The recipe said to bake for 30minutes but my sponge took about 45 minutes to cook so keep checking it while it's cooking.






And as I said, serve with lashings of custard!

No comments:

Post a Comment